It’s still summer, and I do have that new bicycle project to start on. But sometimes you just need a break to work on something really simple. I love these Bent Creek Zipper kits because they are stitched on 18 count fabric over 2, and with pearl cotton – only one strand! Woo-hoo! The kit came with a really dark brown shade of DMC for the pumpkin, which I thought looked really off. So I found this skein of Chrysanthemum from Weeks Dye Works in my stash and it looks like a wonderful pumpkin shade!
But after I had stitched quite a bit of the pumpkin, I realized I was probably going to run out of floss, and I didn’t have another one. I could order one, but the odds that it would be an exact match would be pretty slim. So I started strategizing. I stitched the far right side of the pumpkin, then the far left side. To do the middle sections I would stitch a couple of rows, jump over to an empty spot, and stitch a couple of more rows. This way if I had to pick 2 solid colors of DMC to fill in, they would not be all in the same place. As I stitched more and more, I filled in the empty areas I had, in a sort of zig-zag motion. When it was getting close to the end I could finally sigh with relief and I completed the pumpkin with about 7 inches of floss to spare. Whew!
The photo doesn’t clearly show the colors. The raven is black and the stem is dark green. The star is a brown color stitched with the only variegated floss that came in the kit. The pumpkin is made up of two shades, orange and coral.
Baby It’s Cold Outside from the 6 Snow Belles series by Lizzie Kate. Stitched with DMC floss including Color Variations #4047 on Wichelt Imports hand dyed Jobelan in color “sand castle”. Finished off with a wooden snowflake button from Amazon and a Bent Creek snap.
It’s one of my favorite days of the year! I’ve waited so long for this gem from Just Cross Stitch magazine to arrive! I have a new idea for this year… I am going to see how many items from this magazine I can make in a one year period. I think I will give myself time to go through the magazine and make a list of what fabrics, floss, and embellishments I will need to create these designs, and order whatever I don’t have. And then I will start stitching on October 31 and stitch through October 30 of 2023. I probably won’t stitch them all because there are a few designs that don’t appeal to me, and I don’t have anywhere to hang the really large designs. Plus I will want to stitch other things besides Halloween. But this will give me a great large assortment of smalls to display for Halloween next year. In the meantime, I should also try to finish off the Halloween smalls that I have stitched throughout the years that are just sitting in a box and have those ready for display for this Halloween.
All in all, I think the majority of the designs in this issue are right up my alley!
Getting the supplies together for my next project! I can’t wait to start on this new project from Tiny Modernist. I did notice that the American flag was backwards, though… you would never see a flag with the stripes attached to the pole; the pole would always be attached to the union. I was debating how I could flip the flag, or flip the entire design, or use the chart for the Canadian design (which is already flipped) but then I would have to change the colors to be US colors. But the I went on the Tiny Modernist website and found that there was already a “corrections” page for this flag! So I printed off the correct flag chart and now I’m good to go. This is such a cute design!
Darn! After stitching the blue letters I remembered I had the perfect snowflake buttons to swap out for the stitched snowflakes in the design. But it turns out they are a bit too big. I think I’ll use them anyway and just rip out the letter C and move it over to the left.