Red Hair!

Posted on

I am so glad I got to start working on the mermaid’s red hair! The several different flesh colors of her body were starting to get really boring and hard to keep track of. The red is also made up of a bunch of different shades, and the pattern falls onto three separate pages, so it is a bit of a challenge to keep my place correctly. But I am having fun and can even watch a bit of TV while working on her.

XXX
Carrie


It’s A Start

Posted on

I finally got to sit down and make a start on the mermaid, and she is a lot of fun to work on! So far I have part of her body and the seashell bra done. My daughter thinks it is really funny looking!

It’s my birthday weekend, so I am taking time off from dishes and laundry and all the other things I normally have to do, and am going to sit on the couch and stitch, stitch, stitch!

XXX
Carrie



The Mermaid, at last!

Posted on

I am so excited to finally get to start on this gorgeous mermaid that has been on my “to-do” list for a year. I had a horrible time finding the right fabric for it. I didn’t want to use plain blue, but anything I found that was overdyed just didn’t seem right. I finally found this beautiful hand dyed Jobelan from Wichelt Imports. It is called Caribbean Blue (is that appropriate, or what?!) and is 28 count. However, when I did the needle test, it was actually 25 count. (The needle test involves putting a needle through a couple of the holes in the fabric, straight up and down, then measuring exactly one inch over and inserting another needle at that spot. Then you count the number of stitches from the one needle to the other.) I tried this in various spots in the fabric and ended up with 25 count each time. This means the design would end up being larger than it was supposed to. I double and triple checked my math and found that the fabric was still large enough, so I decided to use it. Here is a picture of the threads laid out on the fabric. My camera really can’t do the fabric┬ájustice; it is a much deeper greenish blue than the photo shows. I also took the picture before I ironed the fabric. I did end up ironing it before putting it on my scroll rods so that it wouldn’t need much ironing afterwards.

I really love the gingerbread houses but now that our snow is finally gone, the sun is out, and the tulips are about to bloom, I need a summery project!

XXX
Carrie